Thursday, October 9, 2014

C4T #2 (Post 1 and 2)

I was assigned Sandi's Blog Rubberboots and Elf Shoes.

The first post I read and responded to of Sandi's was, The Book Whisperer: Chapter 1. She summarized chapter 1 and stated, "A book by a self avowed book nerd." She goes into detail about how "book nerds" are about reading. Teachers who are book nerds are at risk when it comes to teaching, because of how passionate they are. But the secret to teaching is to let it go. Sandi then tells about how in a kindergarten class students choose a book of their liking, the student then reads the book, and responds to the book. They will re-tell the story however they choose whether it be acting it out, comparing authors, and some may do yoga. Students need to see teachers reading as well, and also hear teachers read out loud or in silly voices. Students need to see other students and possibly teachers learning from reading. Sandi said, "Part of the master reader's responsibility is to present reading material in an accessible and inviting way." Students need to be interested in what they are reading.
I commented:
Sandi,
I am a student at The University of South Alabama. I enjoyed reading your post! I cannot wait until I am a teacher so I can read books to my class. Reading can be fun and entertaining for the students. You provided some good ideas and tips in your post. I love that students will read in groups or alone and come up with different ways to express the book. Children are very creative and smart, they can also help us, as teachers, learn.

The second post I read and responded to of Sandi's was,The Book Whisperer: Chapter 3. She again summarized the chapter of the book. She posted a picture of a quote from the book, that summarizes the entire post.
The Book Whisper Page 58
She explains what she does in her kindergarten class. She mentioned that the students read everyday and she either reads to them or they read to themselves. She explains what she and her students do if they are in line. They might sing an alphabet song or play a rhyming game. She has books all over her classroom, and they will read where the mood strikes. That might be outside, in a house area she has set up in her room. In the book it states that "reading time is kept very quiet", Sandi and her students call their reading time "quiet reading time."
I commented:
I enjoyed reading your post! I like how you incorporated what you do with your students with each chapter of the book. You have provided some wonderful ideas when it comes to reading with students. I will keep these ideas in mind and use them when I become a teacher!

Student Reading Outside

No comments:

Post a Comment